Roundown
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo08816
Quote:
Originally Posted by cSurf View Post
This is inaccurate. DHP is much different than a softer sidewall non-rft.

DHP is worth the money. Search this forum, this comes up every few months.
Have you driven enough miles to replace your DHP dampers yet? If you have and you're telling me they are worth the money, then you're somewhat credible.

Let me ask you. Which is going to handle better and ride more comfortably?

OEM RFTs + DHP

or

Michelin PSS + non-DHP suspension

If you think a set of really nice coilovers is going to overcome a mechanical traction limitation (tires), you're way off base. That's like showing up to a track in the summer with all season tires and Ohlin coilovers and think you're going to put down better lap times than someone with a stock Sport suspension and Pilot Cup extreme summer tires.

The base suspension is already really soft. If you're still complaining of a crashy ride, then it's your tires + wheel diameter because I have zero issues with that on my static Sport Suspension 335i.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo08816 View Post
Do you have technical literature that supports this?

How exactly do you define "real time"? I always get a chuckle when people use this term because it sounds cool but most people can't properly define it. Either BMW is completely underrating their product, or your over-marketing it.

To quote the BMWUSA site: http://www.bmw.com/com/en/newvehicle...g_control.html

From an engineering perspective, it sounds like this system allows the user to adjust - "makes it possible to..." - instead of automatically. Conceptually, this system mechanically alters the valving of the shock to provide a preset dampening.

This system is NOT to be confused with a system such as GM's Magnetic Ride Control which actually makes up to 1000 adjustments per second in "real time". This is the system that can make adjustments mid-bump. It is capable of this because it achieves dampening changes very differently. It actually alters the viscosity of the fluid almost instantaneously.
Your conflating a handful of different concepts here.

The enhanced mechanical grip provided by superior set of tires is limited by the suspension's ability to keep that tire in contact with the road. Magnetorheological dampers will do a better job of that than base suspension. You're free to argue that, but the vast majority of literature/commentary on the topic will disagree with you.

As for replacement cost- sure, in the unlikely scenario that the OP has a magnetorheological strut fail, it will cost more to repair than were it the base shock/spring.... but presumably the OP is concerned with performance (and the cost/benefit of 'checking the box') and not marginal cost of replacement if/when there's a failure. If he were (and OP, feel free to chime in), I suspect he'd be looking a simpler, more reliable automobile all-together.

Here's the German site on EDC (for the X3). EDC is DHP in NA.
Electronic Damper Control.
Electronic Damper Control (EDC) automatically or manually adjusts each damper to suit the driving conditions meaning you enjoy outstanding comfort along with the best in BMW on-road safety. EDC reduces variations in wheel load, ensures tyres have excellent traction and counteracts bodyshell movement regardless of the weight your automobile may be carrying or the state of the road's surface.

Sensors constantly monitor all factors influencing the vehicle's behaviour and occupants' comfort, in order to precisely adjust the damper control. In a fraction of a second, the signals are analysed by the EDC microprocessor and orders are sent to the actuators on the shock absorbers, which, with the help of magnetic valves, are variably adjusted to provide optimal suspension. Thanks to Electronic Damper Control, the tendency for the nose to dip when braking is practically eliminated. The influence of potholes and unevenness on the road surface is reduced to minimum.

In addition to increased driving comfort and improved roll characteristics on the tyres, EDC also contributes to vehicle stability and safety. By reducing the nose's tendency to dip when braking and improving the tyre traction, EDC shortens the braking distance when braking heavily. The damper adjustment means that even when braking with ABS the vehicle chassis remains upright on the road and all four wheels have the largest possible contact to the surface.

The Driving Experience Control switch with ECO PRO lets the driver choose between various programs (like COMFORT, NORMAL, SPORT or SPORT+) and adjust the suspension to suit his individual needs.
Appreciate 1