07-26-2011, 03:31 PM   #3
Radioactive
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3 28i '10 535i '04 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpiopio View Post
Just wanted to comment that driving this SAV is like no other SUV I've ever driven. I've owned a full size Ford Bronco, Jeep Cherokee, Ford Explorer, in the past and yeah, I know comparing them is ridiculous, but still I was having so much fun going through some twisty's I just had to put it down in writing.

I slapped it into Sport+, pulled the gear change to the left, and just went for it.

For those familiar with the Bay Area, I shot out of the 92west-280south tunnel, delighting a 328i that hitched his wagon to my star and followed along for a spirited exit out of the long banked turn. http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Kings+...42.63,,0,12.94 (Double click through the tunnel on the pic to see how the turn looks in real life) Left the highway at Woodside road and did the Kings Mountain Road to Skyline to 92 loop. This road is great with tight turns and quick changes. Gorgeous redwoods on the sides too.
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Kings+...52.01,,0,12.04

Sport mode really tightens the steering and throttle up so I felt in ultimate control. The steering was responsive and gave great feedback. Very different from the parking lot ballet touch and feel it spends most of its days performing as a baby wagon. I could tell it wanted to stretch its legs and show me what it can do and it truly surprised me at how well it performed.

I can't wait to take it to Tahoe one of these days. This thing is going to tear those roads up.

That's my story.
Thanks for the tips. My wife works up in San Carlos and we took her '10 535i w/ sport up there. So next time I'm up, we'll try the routes out! Can't wait to take the X3 up there and over to Tahoe also. Maybe this fall. If I do take the X3 up, I think I'll try highway 25 from King City, instead of the 101.
Appreciate 0