View Single Post
      04-11-2012, 05:13 PM   #43
RhoXS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2002 Z3 3.0i + 2016 X3 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudley07726 View Post
... I don't agree that the map & directions are not detailed in the Lexus. ... the BMW Nav is not even close to the Lexus Nav in terms of directions, alerting you to upcoming turns well in advance, speaking street or route names, quickness to recalculate, and limiting the volume of the audio when the voice comes on to give directions.
I do agree the Lexus gives outstanding turn alerting and instructions. In this respect I cannot imagine it getting much more driver friendly. However, as good as this is, it certainly does not compensate for its dismally poor performance in almost every other category.

With respect to map detail, the Lexus only shows local streets when zoomed in so close that perspective of the overall area is lost. The much smaller screen Garmin 2720 Street Pilot on the dash above the large Lexus display continues to show local streets at the same zoom level where the Lexus only shows major highways.

As I commented previously, everybody has a different opinion of the same thing but, after what I saw in the 535 last week, I cannot wait to dump our Lexus for a new X3. Aside from the BMW just being a much better designed machine in many respects, I really enjoyed the 535 Nav system user interface. Overall, imo, the BMW Nav system just blew away the Lexus Nav system implementation. (BTW, the Lexus RX350 bounces and sways like my Dad's 1950/1960 big Buicks and Cadillacs so this is also influencing my thoughts to replace it with an X3).
Appreciate 0