View Single Post
      04-10-2012, 05:36 PM   #37
RhoXS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2002 Z3 3.0i + 2016 X3 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by marleysf View Post
My Lexus is very clear (almost too clear) about when to turn, by giving several warnings, then a tone when you get to the intersection.

I find it fascinating how different people have a completely different takes on the same thing.

My wife and I have used Garmin Street Pilots since 2005 or so. They are great machines and I have not yet used an integrated GPS in a vehicle that comes close to the functionality of these dash top devices. Unfortunately, Garmin no longer offers the Street Pilot series and only now markets the significantly inane dumbed down Nuvi's.

We purchased a new 2009 Lexus RX350 a few years ago with a factory Nav system. This $2400 option just plain sucks primarily because it locks out most functions if there is any way on the car. One cannot look for hotels, restaurants, gas stations, etc., or enter a route, unless the car is at a complete stop. Also, the display does not show anywhere all the detail it is capable of. At the same zoom level, my five year old street pilot shows more and better street level data than the much bigger integrated Lexus display. As a result, we still keep one of our old garmin street Pilots on the dash, atop the Lexus $2400 POS.

Last weekend I drove a 2012 535. The GPS was great and incredibly easy to use. I am just getting ready to buy an X3 and it will definitely have the Nav option. For what its worth, primarily because of the crappy Nav system and terrible handling (RX350), I am done with Lexus products.
Appreciate 0