05-30-2014, 05:44 PM   #200
ianfp
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40D M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petex3 View Post
Is this easy to do for a novice or should I let the dealer carry it out?
My drivers side door makes a noise when I drive over bumps, almost as if it's not shut properly.It seems to be slightly better now it's warmer, so i assume it's not shutting as tight / close as it should be and therefore more noticeable during the colder months.
I am not a mechanic, but I am quite practical and I found it easy to adjust. There is a Torx screw on the door catch fitted to the door jam. I used masking tape to tape around the catch plate before making any adjustments. This was to enable me to return the plate to the original position if needed. The screw is tight, so a well fitting driver is required to loosen the screw partially. I then gently tapped the plate in making sure the vertical position was maintained. I tried just 2mm and then re-tightened the screw. I left the tape in place until I was satisfied that the door was closing properly and that it was perfectly flush with the other door. The job took about 10 minutes. The most important thing is to be able to get the catch plate back in the original position should you not be able to get an improved adjustment. I was going to use a marker pen to draw around the plate, but I was worried that I might have trouble cleaning it off when done. Masking just the bottom and outside edge of the plate is sufficient.

If you are not sure, I would take it to the dealer.

Hope this helps!
Ian
Appreciate 0