Thread: Tailgate Rattle
View Single Post
      04-27-2016, 12:39 PM   #25
lfdal54
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 2023 X3 M40i

Just to keep the thread going..... my 2016 X3 35i started making the noise after about 4 months. It also started making a really annoying squeaking sound in the dash at the same time, but that's another story.

I emptied everything from the back and actually squeezed myself in there while my wife drove the car. Don't recommend that, but anyway, my noise was/is definitely coming from the hatch or the latch itself.

Took it to the dealership, they acknowledged that they heard it and said they adjusted the rear stops. BTW - You need to do that by opening up the interior side compartments and loosening a jam nut of some kind before you can turn the bumpers.

Anyway, that lasted about a week before it came back. It's been getting steadily worse, and I've got a call into the service department to make a new appointment so they can try it again. I really don't think its the bumpers, if the hatch sticks out any further its going to break the plane of the hatch/quarter panel seams in the back.

My thinking is that sometimes it seems after the hatch has opened and closed the noise diminishes for a bit, which makes me suspect it's a latch issue.

If anyone has had a dealership actually fix this, I'd love to hear about it before I go back in. I expect some extra noise in this type of bodystyle, but outright rattles and squeaks aren't acceptable to me.

Thanks for reading.
Appreciate 0