View Single Post
      01-06-2014, 03:29 PM   #10
darcyb62
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 x3 28i

I have my x3 in today getting the PDM replaced for the 2nd time. The dealer told me that BMW is working on a permanent fix and that they will contact me when available.

It's definitely cold weather related. The 1st occurrence was before Christmas when the temps went down to sub -30C. It happened again on the weekend with temp at -37C.

The problems occur after the vehicle has warmed up then been allowed to sit for a bit in the extreme cold. The 1st time it occurred I was unable to start the car. I caled for a tow and was told that it would be a couple of hours. After about 30 minutes of waiting I thought I would give it a try and the car started but the Drivetrain Malfunction stayed. I shut off the car and tried again after 15 minutes and every was fine.

They've explained the problem as follows: the PDM has a breather on it and with the cold weather it's been allowing condensation to build inside. When the car is cold the condensation is frozen and has no impact on the system. As it warms the condensation melts and that is when you have problems. When the engine area gets cold enough for the moisture to freeze again all is fine.

It's really been annoying but it looks like they've narrowed down the problem and a true fix is close at hand and I think the dealer has handled this very well.
Appreciate 0