View Single Post
      11-27-2014, 01:23 PM   #4
RhoXS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2002 Z3 3.0i + 2016 X3 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sireal View Post
My dealer service center is recommending Fuel Injector cleaning at 30,000 miles. Is this service worth doing or just a rip-off at $179?
Clear rip off IMO.

I understand the minimally federally mandated detergent package in all gasoline will be sufficient to keep everything including the injectors and valve surfaces clean. I never did anything to specifically clean my injectors in any car and never perceived a problem.

I am sure services like cleaning the injectors for $179 is a very high profit item for the dealership and they train and encourage their service writers to push these services. A number of years ago we had a Lexus RX300 with a full extended Lexus warranty to 100K miles. At about 65K miles we had the car at Lexus for a warranty repair and the service writer attempted to sell a $1,200 timing belt and water pump replacement to my wife even though Toyota did not require a replacement for another 20K miles or so. Fortunately she smelled a rat and called me. IMO your dealer's injector cleaning is a similar scam.

I am in NY also so curious who the dealership is.
Appreciate 0