F25er
Redline every time
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i, 2013 X3 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by torzeck
Well, let's see...
-The F25 is built on the same basic platform as the new 3 series.
-I was comparing the 3 series with xdrive as that is essentially what the x3 is.
-The engines and options are essentially shared components.
-As I mentioned, I believe the x3 was always more expensive in the past

Add to this the Q5 is more expensive than the A4.

The issue may be shallow but it's one of perceived value.
From an NRE, materials and tooling stand point do you think it's more expensive to build a 3 series coupe vs. a 3 series sedan?

Surely the sedan should cost more from a tooling and materials standpoint with its two additional doors and more components for those doors.

The coupe is sexier, more exclusive and can command a higher price.

Or better, the cost to build a front wheel drive A3 vs. a Golf. Sure, the finish materials are better/ more expensive in the Audi, but it's the design and brand you're paying the premium for.

As we all know, cars and all products are not simply priced by the cost of the NRE, raw materials and the tooling. Sure this counts, but it is the perceived value that manufacturers want to count on. If you can build a brand that can capture more dollars, then more power to you.

Look at diamonds... Oakleys. Any high perceived value product.

Bottomline: I had the perception the x3 should have a higher retail cost than the 3 series as it is a 3 series with more. This latest pricing announcement is changing that perception.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F25er View Post
Definitely one of the oddest posts I've read.....not clear how this comparison is relevant? What does an X3 have to do with a 3 series? I realize some people buy the BMW brand for ego purposes however I would like to think a forum like this is largely the domain of enthusiasts?

BMW sets their prices obviously considering the relationship to their other models but the larger consideration is the models of their competitors in the same segment. For example the GLK, RX350, Q5 etc.

Yup you're right, very shallow.
That's pretty long winded and confusing. If you wanted to distance yourself from the 3 series so badly perhaps an X5 or X6 or a different brand was in order?

You obviously understand how closely related the X3 and 3 series are so where is your confusion coming from? Would you have felt better if the X3 was $1000 more? $2000? What number would satisfy the ego so you could feel like you are "moving up"?

The 1 series is correlated with the X1, the 3 series with the X3, 4 series with X4, 5 series with X5, 6 series with X6. Where is the confusion? Posts like this really bug me because they are not about the car and brand and the appreciation of those but rather about status. To me that's what gives luxury brands a bad name, the attraction of D%?# B%%gs.
Appreciate 0