Roundown
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoDigito
Quote:
Originally Posted by cSurf
I have the staggered 622M with PZero summer rubber, so really had no choice but to pick up a winter set up. That in mind, I just ordered the following from TireRack:

O.Z. Superturismo LM in Matte Graphite Silver 19" x 8.5" ET29

Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D DSST RunOnFlat in 245/45R19

I know that most folks size down to 18" x 8" for winter... but I don't do a ton of classically severe-service driving (it's mostly highway driving in the cold) so I weighed snow/ice traction, dry handling, noise and tread life a bit differently than other's (in colder/snowier/icier conditions) might. The wheels are square, have a bit less offset than stock (8.5" at 29mm vs. 8.5" at 38mm in front and 8.5" at 29mm vs. 9.5" at 51mm in the rear) so they should sit a ~8mm wider. Nothing dramatic, but I'll be sure to post pics come November.

If anyone wants a recommendation for a dedicated set up on 18"s and aren't overly concerned with buying wheels and tires seperately, I would highly recommend going with Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2s. In 18" they come in RFT for BMW dimensions and they are really an incredible snow/ice performer (and don't make a ton of noise and/or melt in warmer temps). Which shouldn't be surprising at $325-$350/each. Next to the Hakka's, I've heard great things about Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4s, which come in RFT in 245/50R18... but good luck finding any!

Also- this was part of my inspiration...

And Mingstar88's X3

I am also considering the Dunlop Winter Sport 3D DSST ROF in the same size. Would love to hear about your experience with them before I take the plunge this winter.
I wouldn't wait too long- they're not far from selling out. There just aren't many RFT 19" winter tires.

I had these on a VW a few years back and thought they were fine. No complaints. Would prefer Nokians, but they don't make them in 19" (though I encourage you to reach out, maybe next go round they will!).
Appreciate 0