View Single Post
      01-27-2012, 04:25 AM   #3
kingbadger
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25) 3.0D MSport

This is based on experience with old cars, but as the X3 drives all 4 wheels it needs to transmit this drive through the front (steering) wheels. This demands a clever coupling. They used to be called "constant velocity joints". It is easy to get them to work when nearly in a straight line - ie wheels at 90% to the car, but gets tougher to engineer the more the wheel is turned. So at full lock you may be approaching the operational limits of the joint - not an issue in normal driving since with this much lock on no real speed is possible, it's just for manoeuvring. And pretty much all engineering is a compromise - in this case ability to transmit a lot of power, reliability, cost, size and weight. I've experienced this on several cars in the past, including a current front drive Audi, and to be honest it's not been an issue. I try to be "gentle" with the throttle when on full lock to limit the stress I put on the couplings when they are operating at their limits.

But this is all guesswork. Other forum members may well have a better idea!