04-12-2014, 10:13 AM   #13
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by clivem2 View Post
I've genuinely wondered about the anti-MSport sentiments in the US.

With the X3 I can understand that part of it is due to the MSport not coming with sport suspension whereas it does across most of the planet.

Secondly, does the US have a long history of MSport versions of BMWs being available? Certainly in Europe we've had MSport versions for decades - no one confuses them for M-cars, indeed an M version of an SUV/SAV seems like an oxymoron anyway, it should only apply to cars that are close to being track racers, not cars with a high CoG.
BMW's M-sport packages as of late have been really hit or miss. Sometimes, the designs are classy and understated. Other times, the M-sport package makes an otherwise well sorted exterior design look silly--sort of aftermarket and, at worst, lumpy. The M-sport on the pre-LCI X3 was already ricer-y enough…this new one looks downright stupid. The cars with the best execution of M-sport bumper design: 7-series, 5-series GT, 4-series, 2-series. Cars with the worst: 3-series GT, F15 X5, and LCI X3 and X4. The difference here is that the M-sport packages of the EXX cars and earlier looked similar or were exactly the same as the M-model variants, which have always been spot-on. I loved all of those M-sport body kits…I can't stand these FXX M-sport designs. I resent them even more because now, sport seats can't be optioned unless I get the M-sport package.
Appreciate 0