11-28-2011, 01:18 AM   #9
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by mibmwx3 View Post
I have the 245/50/18 Dunlop 3D's for winter, so will ask them to fill them to 35 front and 38 rear.

I should have been clearer on the caps. I was talking about the center caps. They were taken off from my 309's and put on 307's. They shouldn't move, should they? The valve stem caps are fine.
Oh, the center caps!
The center caps just snap in place and, depending on the wheel (center hole diameter) may be a tight fit or may spin a little. The ones on my winter (aftermarket) wheels all can be turned, and (2) of the (4) the original ones on my factory wheels can rotate if I put a little pressure on them while cleaning the BMW logo.

35 and 38 should work fine for your 3Ds. I'm waiting for the first prediction of real snow here to install mine.

Please remember that the winter tires use a softer, more flexible rubber compound in the tread and will feel a little less responsive. They also will typically have somewhat less traction on dry pavement, especially in panic stops and can "lock up" a little easier and trigger the ABS system. You should take it easy (don't try to set any lap records at Grattan) until they have a few hundred miles to be "worn-in" on your X3.
Appreciate 0