07-25-2012, 04:11 PM   #20
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by philtrick123 View Post
Is this tuning add on only available for the 2.0d- or is there a version for 3.0 3.5d- and the petrol models?
I presume it invalidates the warrenty and affects the insurance.
I think the general consensus on insurance is that you either declare it and if they agree to keep insuring you, you might take a hit on your premium, or you don't declare it and run the risk of them not paying out if you need to claim and they investigate and find it or its effects. The car records a lot of diagnostic info so in theory BMW could tell via OBD readouts if some parameters were out of expected range. Therefore, an insurance company could access that same info. Would they or have they ever done in this in practice and managed to invalidate a claim. No idea.

Warranty is slightly different. Take it off before you take it in for a service or repair and you'll probably get away with it but they could refuse to cover you for warranty repair work if they could prove that the repair was needed as a result of the car being chipped. I don't think they just blindly refuse all warranty work if they suspect the car is chipped.

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0