pchansen
Private
Rep
Drives: 19 X7 50i13%C2%92 X328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by imported_Riq View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pchansen View Post
I wanted to update you all on my liftgate fix. Yes fixed! I purchased a liftgate module on eBay for $50. I replaced the old one and then plugged in my new Foxwell NT520. It wouldn't recognize my VIN no matter what I did. I manually entered the chassis code,year and engine and proceeded to find a few places where "liftgate module" was located in the sub menus. Nothing worked. Always the same message-"could not communicate with module". I unplugged the NT 520 and went back to open the rear hatch manually. About ¾ of the way to fulll open, I noticed a lot of resistance to me opening the liftgate any farther. Though that was kinda weird and out of curiosity, I pressed the close button on the liftgate and...... IT CLOSED!!' Pressed the open Handle and.... IT OPENED! Pressed on the trunk icon on the remote and ....IT CLOSED. Same when I went to open via the remote. IT OPENED. In the Settings menu, under rear hatch, it has a graphic depiction of the height the hatch opens, that was reset too. Bottom line- very nice vehicle with a rear hatch that now opens and closes automatically with no coding required!
The Foxwell is worthless imo. As of yet, I can't even get it to read my battery state, let alone code a new one. Get Bimmer Code.

Can you specify what condition were you experimenting with the malfunction?
I bought a 2013 X3 with the system not operating. I can hear a relay "click" when pushing the close button but no operation. I thought it might be the actuator themselves but wouldn't think that both would fail, so maybe the module is my problem.

I second your opinion on the Foxwell. Have the same issues, so I feel I lost my money there. It does not connect properly. It's frustrating.
Quote:
Originally Posted by imported_Riq View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pchansen View Post
I wanted to update you all on my liftgate fix. Yes fixed! I purchased a liftgate module on eBay for $50. I replaced the old one and then plugged in my new Foxwell NT520. It wouldn't recognize my VIN no matter what I did. I manually entered the chassis code,year and engine and proceeded to find a few places where "liftgate module" was located in the sub menus. Nothing worked. Always the same message-"could not communicate with module". I unplugged the NT 520 and went back to open the rear hatch manually. About ¾ of the way to fulll open, I noticed a lot of resistance to me opening the liftgate any farther. Though that was kinda weird and out of curiosity, I pressed the close button on the liftgate and...... IT CLOSED!!' Pressed the open Handle and.... IT OPENED! Pressed on the trunk icon on the remote and ....IT CLOSED. Same when I went to open via the remote. IT OPENED. In the Settings menu, under rear hatch, it has a graphic depiction of the height the hatch opens, that was reset too. Bottom line- very nice vehicle with a rear hatch that now opens and closes automatically with no coding required!
The Foxwell is worthless imo. As of yet, I can't even get it to read my battery state, let alone code a new one. Get Bimmer Code.

Can you specify what condition were you experimenting with the malfunction?
I bought a 2013 X3 with the system not operating. I can hear a relay "click" when pushing the close button but no operation. I thought it might be the actuator themselves but wouldn't think that both would fail, so maybe the module is my problem.

I second your opinion on the Foxwell. Have the same issues, so I feel I lost my money there. It does not connect properly. It's frustrating.
Sorry it took so long for me to respond. If I understand your first question, when I purchased the car, the lift gate module was disconnected and stored in the rear side well. I believe when the module is disconnected, it wouldn't throw any error codes. As a matter of fact, my car would do the same as yours- the lick would still engage electrically. When I tried to open the hatch either by using the keyfob, button in the driver's door jam or the actual handle on the lift gate, I would get the same click.
The module looked ok and I was tempted to plug it in and see what would happen. But instead I broke the seal on the module and opened it up. Once open, I could see the circuit board was corroded from water immersion.
I would check your module first before you start looking into replacing the struts.
It should be noted that I did purchase BimmerCode and it works reasonably well but curiously it would not recognize the liftgate module. I still think I need to take the car into a tech and have the liftgate properly coded. I can tell that it's not quite right. It is very slow in operation and it only will go up to about 90% of it full range of travel. That's annoying as I'm a tall man. Hope this helps.
...and yes, the Foxwell is so far completely useless and I'm not confident I'll ever get my money back.
Appreciate 0