View Single Post
      03-15-2011, 11:32 AM   #1
martine_wedlake
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i Convertible

Sport Program (transmission) Specs

Hey. I did a search, but came up empty -- might be poor choice of search terms. If so, I appologise...

I took delivery of a new X3 just a week ago (for my wife, so I get limited driving opportunities). I was out and about with it and thought I'd put it into manual mode at a stoplight for a bit of fun so slid the shifter over to the left. Light turns green and off I go, but I was surprised when the car shifts on it's own around 3k RPM before I could pull the lever back to upshift. This is how I'm introduced to the sport program (or DS) mode. Once back home I look up the feature and see that I have to manually shift at least once before the car will move to manual shift mode.

OK, so far so good... but it's got me a bit curious. Just what does DS mode really do? The manual is especially vague -- "This position is recommended for a performance-oriented driving style" -- I've noticed that it seems to keep the RPMs about 1k higher than before and shifts higher. Anything else change? How about the throttle map?
Appreciate 0