View Single Post
      11-16-2017, 01:58 AM   #11
cvee
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: New BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by brissim View Post
Whose paying for your fuel? - ie will it be you personally or will your company (if applicable). Don't forget the 6-cylinder diesel attracts a higher yearly rego cost over the 4-cylinder (worth an extra $160/year in QLD). The 30d has it all over the 30i in terms of performance - especially rolling acceleration for overtaking on country roads. If the comparison was between the M40i and the 30d, the petrol would be the better performing car.

While the 30d is very refined for a diesel (much quieter inside than say the 20d diesel), the 30i petrol will be the overall quieter car.

Maintenance costs are much the same. If you opt for the pre-paid service agreements (which I highly recommend if you do 15-20,000+km a year in the car) the costs are the same for either petrol or diesel X3s. The pre-paid service costs are listed on the X3's specification sheets downloadable from the BMW Aust website. And you can extended your pre-paid servicing to cover up to 10 years/200,000 km. Extended warranty is limited to only 5 years.

Tony
It’s a personal car so fuel costs are out of my pocket.
I don’t drive much, but I do have a 20yr old car that I don’t trust going long distances. I also like the performance aspect of 30d vs 30i. The torque is almost double in 30d.
I also do like an efficient car.... I’d go full electric if I could afford it.

It’s 6k more to go up to 30d and worry I’ll regret it later if I get the 30i.
However I’m worried about long term mechanical issues with diesel. Ie. dpf etc
Also about the possible impact a diesel phase out might have on car values in the medium term.... and the possibility that Diesel engines can get louder as they age.
A quieter car is preferred so there’s 1 for 30i.

Practically I should get the 30i.
Appreciate 0