03-15-2011, 11:47 AM   #2
MA78
TK-421
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by martine_wedlake View Post
Hey. I did a search, but came up empty -- might be poor choice of search terms. If so, I appologise...

I took delivery of a new X3 just a week ago (for my wife, so I get limited driving opportunities). I was out and about with it and thought I'd put it into manual mode at a stoplight for a bit of fun so slid the shifter over to the left. Light turns green and off I go, but I was surprised when the car shifts on it's own around 3k RPM before I could pull the lever back to upshift. This is how I'm introduced to the sport program (or DS) mode. Once back home I look up the feature and see that I have to manually shift at least once before the car will move to manual shift mode.

OK, so far so good... but it's got me a bit curious. Just what does DS mode really do? The manual is especially vague -- "This position is recommended for a performance-oriented driving style" -- I've noticed that it seems to keep the RPMs about 1k higher than before and shifts higher. Anything else change? How about the throttle map?
28i or 35i? And if 35i, do you have the Sport Package?

I'm not sure about the 28i, but from what I've read switching in M will not put the car into "sport" mode. On my car (35i with SAP and DHP) when I slip the selector to the left the car will rev a little higher but still change gears automatically. If I use the paddles or selector to change the gears, the transmission will stay in the selected gear until it reaches a safety.
Appreciate 0