Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooney058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cropwell View Post
Have you tried the 8 speed Bmw auto ?, it offers the option of a semi-auto change if you enjoy playing with the gear lever.
You have chosen a high spec car on the 2.0d version. I think that when you come to sell the car this will limit its resale value. I speak from experience, I also liked manual cars and ordered a 5 series with it. Had very hard job selling it and that was 10 years ago. Ok you might argue that was a different type of car but more recently BMW have changed the options to reduce the availability of manual gearboxes to the base models, the X3 3.0d and 3.5d don't even offer the option. I think that this is mainly due to emmission regulations and the increased road congestion which makes the auto more attractive.
I would imagine that eventually the manual gearboxes are likely to be phased out across the range apart from the M cars.
Most BMW buyers and dealers will want to see an auto on such a high spec car.

But in the end its your money and your choice.

Are you sure that you want 19" wheels ?(and the low profile tyres that go with them). Yes they look nice but they tend to give a poor ride quality when combined with the sports suspension. I speak from experience- my previous BMW was a 335d coupe which had 19" wheels. I purchased a dealer registered car which had them on and would not recommend them. They ride really well on nice smooth tarmac but on anything else you need to avoid potholes,cats eyes and cracks in the road. Both the rear rims cracked- not due to any kerbing or damage to the rims but general wear of the rim and suspension combination. BMW recognised this and replaced them under a goodwill claim after 5 years use.
I have the 18" alloys which ride and handle really well.

I have the panoramic sunroof and can say that you will really enjoy this.
sorry to interupt, just wanted to tell that I totaly agree with the above on the automatic gearbox.

do not agree on the suspension/tyre comments - 19in comes with quite high sidewall:
- 245/50/18 gives you 122.5 mm hight of the sidewall.
- 245/45/19 would give you 110.25 mm sidewall (1 cm or half an inch approx lower profile).

of course there would be a difference, but it would be more noticable dependand on the particular tyre model or suspension chosen - one can specify it either with or without sport suspension (even with the M Package - I did the same, but went for DDC option as well).
+1 I have 18" winter rims and 19" summer rims and there isn't much difference in ride quality at all. It's not like having a tiny side wall on a 3er with big rims. The 19s also make the car look a lot better

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0