11-30-2011, 04:32 PM   #15
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
Fair points and well made. I guess it's all down to whether you think these risks are worth it. 2% if you have an accident that's your fault is small but not insignificant.

The data stored on the car opens up some interesting data protection and privacy issues. Who owns this data, BMW? Some of it is effectively data held about you and therefore you could ask to see it
The data ownership issue is interesting. It;s not yet been tested in court, I expect it will be. I've discussed the topic with a number of car makers. Their view is that their programs and algorithms are responsible for most of the data so they own it. Drivers respond by saying tha Microsoft don't own the world's spreadsheets. I think both arguments are flawed and we need some form of legal judgement on this.

The most accurate analogy would be where Microsoft supply the spreadsheet program and the logic in the spreadsheet, then user (driver) then fills in the data. Maybe cars should come with a software licence agreement, if they did I bet I'd know who the owner of the data would be!

Last edited by clivem2; 12-01-2011 at 03:58 AM..
Appreciate 0