12-11-2011, 05:45 PM   #11
jsplayin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul386 View Post
I much prefer the RFT to a spare. Getting a flat is not a big deal at all with RFT's. With a spare it is a major pain. I have had 2 flats since getting my car in May and I'm not looking back.
May I ask if you had to replace the tires completely both times, or were they able to plug them? If you replaced them then that's a pretty significant cost for convenience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Chef View Post
The issue from my perspective is safety. It's much safer for my wife, who drives the X3 90% of the time, to have RFT's than trying to fix a tire or change wheels in an unsafe neighborhood or when the weather is -20F.

If the X3 was a sports car it would be different.
Agreed, in this example you are 100% right, my wife is the driver of our car as well. But my concern was with safety too when buying snow tires and I wanted studless snow tires for maximum safety not performance winter tires, I have yet to find one that is available as a RFT. I figured the chances of snow are 99.9% this winter, but the chances of a flat are 2 in the past 10 years for us so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by torzeck View Post
I agree. The no spare /run flat only solution falls apart when you're in the middle of nowhere (as in no cell coverage) and more than 50 miles away from any services.

There should be a spare available and a place to put it.

Run flats (if you wanted them) and a spare for the x3 would be the best of both worlds.

I was in Oregon's outback and if we'd gotten a flat we'd been in big trouble as there was nothing within miles.
I'd be happy with just a hole in the trunk to put a spare if needed.
Appreciate 0