06-16-2011, 09:10 PM   #65
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by MA78 View Post
I don't know who would say that a new car doesn't need to be waxed. That's just crazy. Claying is also essential if you're going to get your wax to lay down properly. Polishing though? Seems a bit much. I suppose there might be some dealer installed swirl marks if you let them wash your car before you pick it up. In that case you may want to have it polished. I wouldn't recommend doing it yourself though. Paint correction is a skill that takes a very long time to learn. And I doubt you want to practice on your new car.
It's not a matter of the finish not NEEDING to be waxed, but instead is to allow full curing of the paint. Some paints require up to 5 weeks to reach their full hardness. This is less so with modern low VOC paints, but it's still considered a good idea to not put anything on the paint except clean water until it's fully cured (wax can slow down or interfere with the process). Depending on temperature and UV exposure (higher temps.and more sunlight speed up the curing process), 4 or 5 weeks after the paint is applied, is usually enough.
Appreciate 0