MattUK
Captain Unsensible
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 M240i Coupe - Estoril

Garage List
2016 BMW M240i  [0.00]
3 Years In...

My X3 is coming up to 3 years ownership, and figured I'd give a brief view of my thoughts and impressions.

The car is Sapphire Black, Black Interior 3.0M Sport 2011, I've just hit 30,000 miles.

Faults

The car has had the following faults during this time;
1. CD Drive / Ripping jumping - Dealer reloaded software, problem not gone away, suspect the drive needs to be replaced.
2. Famous underscreen rustling noise - initially padded out with foam, dealer then did something, went away, but is coming back.
3. Drivers Door release cable snapped - to be replaced at next service.

Those are the only issues I've had. I've had 1 flat tyre which was replaced under tyre insurance (which paid for itself).

Overall, I have totally loved this car. The quality of the build I think has been superb, the car still looks like new and the interior has stood up exceptionally well for 3 years (although its only usually a single driver).

Its helped me move house, its helped lugged ridiculous loads around, and all in its stride.

Power delivery has been great, fuel economy over this time is at 34mpg total for the 3 years, which the best I've ever seen at 46Mph.

Originally I had planned to pay my final payment, and keep this car, because it does basically and has done basically everything and anything I have asked of it.

Handled pretty well in the snow, only defeated by one hill, and that was on all weather tyres.

Loved the performance, and most of the handling. Glad I got the variable suspension though, as having it on sport all the time would have ruined this car for me, especially on UK roads.

The dealer has offered me a great trade in price on this, meaning that in 3 years the car has only depreciated 13,500 in 3 years, which must be the best in any BMW I've ever owned.

Why change? Initially I was thinking of switching across to an X5M5.0D, was quite used to being high up.. however due to the deals that BMW have on at the moment, it ended up would you believe cheaper to spec up a new M6 Gran Coupe, which is the car that I have ordered to replace it.

Total change yes.. I come from a long line of M cars, and this deal on the M6 was too good to ignore, so the next few years from september I will be moving back to a full M.

Overall, for anyone thinking about an X vehicle, I would say the X3 is the ultimate compromise in space / size / cost / performance.

What about options that I didn't get that I wished I had?

1. Heated Steering wheel is something I would have gone.
2. Powered boot
3. Maybe a sun/moon roof.

Otherwise.. it was as I wanted.

X3 - A fantastic all round performant car.
Appreciate 0