View Single Post
      01-24-2013, 06:45 AM   #22
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by clivem2 View Post
Here in the UK the advice leasing companies go with is to replace the tyre after any puncture. The logic seems to be that if you drive on a punctured RFT the inner walls of the tyres will be damaged. So by not having a spare tyre we are forced into having to replace tyres following a puncture. Most tyre places won't repair RFTs, though I'm sure some will.
There has to be caution, as we do use up the run-on-flat capacity if we don't know the pressure and control it, if we have a puncture.

I carry a compressor and would certainly attempt to hold up the pressure, to get more mileage from the run-on-capacity (if necessary) to get out of trouble. But very cautious of a compromised tire, if used in real anger. I could never trust it myself.

On my current car I'm keeping with RFTS, the last car I took them off and had all the issues with carrying a spare in the boot space, etc., particularly on remote trips from home.

This time I've taken out tire insurance with a "replace if punctured" policy. I still carry the compressor, but at least I know if used in anger I can run on without cost penalty. Will only take one incident to pay for the insurance, and with two sets of wheels, seems a wise decision to cover tyres, summer and winter, with tires that cost over £250 a pop.

I was speaking with my local tire shop, (several outlets) and they will not repair RFTs, both on the liability issue, and customers lie about the use after a warning gong, so can't be trusted. The "I've only driven a couple of miles" comment, when clearly the tire is just about holding together. So their policy is blanket cover, "can't and won't" risk any repair.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0