04-28-2011, 06:42 PM   #31
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnE90 View Post
Oh man, I hope, hope, HOPE that BMW includes DDC in the M Sport Pkg. That would awesome. Right now, without DDC, I don't see the value or the point in the M Sport. A few cosmetic touches don't equal an M car to me. An M should at least have a really good sports suspension, and I believe the DDC would do that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuco44 View Post
The MSport package is not an attempt to make a "M" car, a la M3, M5, etc, out of the X3. It is a package often offered on BMWs and is not to be confused with the true M cars, which are different from their "source cars" in many ways, ie, the M3 is not the same vehicle as the 3 Series in engine, suspension, sometimes gearboxes, etc.

The MSport pkg on the X3 offers some body styling, larger/different wheels, a higher top speed, suspension adjustments with the Dyn Comfort/Performance Control option, a beefier steering wheel, anthacite headliner, sport tranny, sport seats, etc.

You are mistaken if you think adding a MSport pkg makes it a "M" car or an
X3M - not the case. An X3M may come in the future, but I don't recall BMW saying anything about that yet.
Right. I think the spirit of what CdnE90 is saying is that the M Sport package 'should' include some performance related elements... and as tuco44 has pointed out it does - different transmission (or variant thereof) and higher top speed limiter (like I'm going to blow through 130 on my way to 150... in a SUV!). But I think we all agree that DDC would certainly be a nice touch.

I just looked at the sticker for my X5 M Sport, and the M Sport package included "Adaptive Drive" which is what DDC was called for it - although it is not as robust (choice is simply "normal" or "sport"). Of course, the M Sport package was more than twice the price of this package...

Oh, and FWIW I already have my black "///M" license plate frame ready to bolt on. Call me a poser if you must... but until there is a true X3M I figure it's legit.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0