View Single Post
      07-10-2012, 02:29 AM   #16
mooney058
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F25 (Sept 2012) 525i (gone)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordicBMW View Post
It's probably not of any help, but the tax issue is more or less the same in Norway. Our X3 20ds are also downgraded to 163 hp from 184hp, same torque with both options. By doing this BMW is able to reduce the price by approx 2650EUR because of reduced hp tax. 80% of the X3s sold here are the 20d with 163hp (It still costs 100KEUR if you want to throw in a few options and additions so it is by no means "cheap" - and it shouldn't be. But the tax on hp is really annoying). In fact i haven't seen any 35is around here, they are just over the top expensive with almost 70% of the total price being tax... So most of the x3s we see in the streets are 20ds with a few downsized 30ds here an there. But they are quite rare.

To spice things up a bit a nifty little "black box" is commercially available at a tad below 750 EUR. It is plug-and-play for diesels and you can plug it in yourself and in a matter of minutes your 163hp / 380nm torque X3 is transformed into a 204 hp/410 nm machine. But this is of course illegal if you fail to report it and pay the additional 6000EUR tax which follows (yes, the hp tax is not linear, it increases above 170hp). And it also violates BMW's warranties so needless to say this is mostly done with older cars to my understanding.

So I'll continue with my 163hp X3 20d and probably not miss out anything in a country where the speed limit on highways are 100km/h (62 mph) and most country roads have a 80 km/h (approx 50 mph) speed limit. Speeding tickets can quickly set you back 300 - 500 EUR if you find the speed limits a bit on the conservative side so most of us try to keep a reasonably light right foot. On the other hand, the X-drive and extra ground clearance provides for all smiles during winter since our roads are icy/snowy almost 5 months a year. All in all I thus find the X3 package very useful and attractive even with the smaller engine. The looks, the features, the handling - it's all there. And I can live with 0 - 62 mph in 9,2 secs and a top speed more than twice our allowed max speed.
Thanks a lot NordicBMW, was just actualy googling for chipboxes/remaping of 20d engine. Is there any particular option 'recomended' for F25 20d engine? I will try the reduced power engine first and according to my estimates my region should also have a new car taxation system by the time my engine is broken-in. this would make it 'legal' for tax purposes. it would put bmw waranty at risk still - so if there is one particular chip system what is proven on bmw, I may go that way to minimise the risk of engine failure
Appreciate 0