View Single Post
      04-20-2016, 04:13 AM   #1
dgilson
Rep
Drives: X3 20d xDrive SE Auto

Rear spring failure

While replacing the rear pads and discs, (with the help of the excellent thread in this forum), I discovered that the right rear spring was broken. Vehicle is X3 20d xDrive SE auto, nearly 5 years old, with 73,000 miles. Just the bottom coil was broken, and the spring was still sitting happily in its seat. There was no apparent effect on the stance of the vehicle and I hadn’t noticed any effect on ride or handling. Or perhaps I’m just insensitive.

BMW parts quoted 126 GBpounds per spring, 24 for the rubber boot (which was deteriorated), and 17 for the upper and lower spring pads, which “we always replace”. BMW service advised that they “always replace both springs”. They estimated 3 to 4 hours labour, and it looks like the total bill would have been about 750 GBpounds.

One spring or two? There seemed to be no adverse effect from the broken spring, so it seems unlikely to me that one old spring and one new spring would cause any problems either. I’ve followed this philosophy when replacing rear springs on other vehicles, and not had cause to regret it. If the remaining old spring were to break, so be it, but chances are it won’t break.

The good guys at local workshop East Cornwall Garage, also recommended replacing both springs, but were happy to do just the one. In the event, they replaced the one spring and rubber boot (not the spring pads), and the total labour charge was just 90 GBpounds. The job does include removing rear trim to get at the shock-absorber upper mount.

I definitely can’t detect any effect, good or bad, from replacing the one spring. Anyone found differently?
Appreciate 0