04-11-2011, 04:10 AM   #5
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

Quote:
Originally Posted by coiken View Post
Hello,

first of all, this topic title might sound a bit like a X3 bashing topic but it's not... I'm a huge fan of the X3, did a test drive and have some clear objective remarks... some of them I've not read about before. so here it goes:

I was leaning 90% towards the X3 and 10% towards the 5 series... the I did a testdrive with both and was over impressed by the 5 and hugly dissapointed by the X3. Both had standard seats and 20d engine.
The X3 was noisy on the highway when doing around 140km/h and the seats where so terrible that I had terrible pain in my back after a 1hour drive... I also noticed the different in build quality.

So let's look at some facts:
- X3 standard seats are nowere in the neighbourhoud of the 5 series seats, comfort seats could have resolved this... but no luck as they are not available in the X3
- We had both the 5 series and X 3 parked next to eachother and with the doors opened. The build quality of both was so shocking different! While the 5 had fine, high quality finish the X3 looked cheap and of inferior quality, less leather, more hard plastic, etc...
- the navi pro screen of the X3 is smaller than the 5 series navi pro, don't let yourself be fooled by the marketing, the X3's navi screen is smaller!
- While the airco controls in the 5er are nicely integrated in the dashboard with nice black finish, the climate controls of the X3 are actually exact the same as in my current X1 series.
- The dashboard of the x3 looks plastic compaired to the 5 series dashboard... hence, my 1 series looked better finished then the X3.

The driving part is maybe more subjective but I coudn't get rid of the feeling that the x3 was a bit bouncy while the 5 series was sticking to the road as a pile of dogsh*t at a shoe... superbe!

Man, this test drive really became a painfull experience, after being so sure about the X3 I'm now full of doubt and lending more towards the 5 series. Problem with 5 series is that it's an absolute lease sl*t, so a huge amount of people are driving this exact same car while the X3 is in my opinion more unique.
there is a reason the series are 1, 3, 5, 6, 7 and quality increases as you progress up the BMW foodchain. The X3 is a 3 series level quality with some height and perfect for those who dislike the 3 wagon and it will never have the finish of a 5 series, thats reserved for the X5, but new X3 much improved over last gen...by very far.
Appreciate 0