12-17-2014, 08:58 PM   #8
Monkey Punk
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerface View Post
on the N20 engine, There's a momentary delay from the instant you want to give the car a boot while the car has settled on a cruise to when the engine actually delivers the "boost".

FWIW, I've been doing stuff to my x28i when I probably would have been satisfied with a x35i M Sport from the get go
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeontiyZHP View Post
I have the 28i. I liked the 35i, but with the options I wanted it ended up over my budget. The 35i felt smoother in delivering the power. But, the 28i feels good, as my daily driver. It might not be the fastest off the line, but it is fast enough for me. Looking at the specs, the 35i was one second faster in 0-60, but the fact that it is an SAV and with the way I drive, I don't find myself in situations where I need that extra second.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drodnyc View Post
I tested the 28i and with my driving habit (i'm a spirited driver ) it revs higher and louder than I really wanted. Felt like I was pushing it beyond its capabilities even though it can take it. Just wasn't for me. Felt like my wife's new CRV at full throttle. if you're also a little heavy footed, i'd say go for the the 35i. 35i xdrive has lots of power and is very fun to drive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cSurf View Post
I drive a 35i, but both engines are ubiquitous in the BMW line up. At this point, any issues have been largely ironed out. That said, these are complex, turbo charged engines. Maintenance and a proper break-in are imperative.

If you're leaning towards an option-heavy build, you may want to consider the 35i as the differential narrows considerably as many 28i options are standard on the 35i (xenons, for instance). And it's way more satisfying to drive.
Thank you all for your insight!
Appreciate 0