04-12-2014, 07:45 AM   #10
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by philtrick123 View Post
Seems to me that x-line and M-Sport are mostly cosmetic updates.
BMW like most manufacturers make more profit on the 'pimped' up cars. Throw in some extra satin trim (or fashionable black trim), larger alloys, body kit etc.

You are buying a look- not much in terms of engineering.
Nothing wrong with paying for 'better' looks- that's marketing.

I note that most UK users delete Sports Suspension on their cars, because the roads are poor in some area.
I agree that the spec includes items that pimp up the looks somewhat. The body kit is the main offender, the other items such as sport wheel, larger alloys, sports seats are probably what many want.

Re sport suspension I retained it on my 30D as I find the ride better than with standard suspension. It might seem counter-intuitive that the harder suspension rides better (on UK roads too). What I found was that the standard suspension bounced too much and wasn't sufficiently controlled for my taste. The sports suspension on the X3 seems well judged to me, unlike my previous car which was a 335i, the sports suspension on that was just way to hard and had the car being deflected all over the place on UK B-roads. RFTs are part of the issue too. The X3 though is not a sports car and BMW have setup the sports suspension on it sensibly.

Last edited by clivem2; 04-12-2014 at 08:14 AM..
Appreciate 0