View Single Post
      01-07-2013, 12:42 PM   #44
cblandin
Private
Rep
Drives: 97 M3, Volt, XC60

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjgh View Post
I seriously looked at the XC60 t6 R but found the suspension too harsh... It may have been the 20" wheels.

Plus the car didn't feel quicker even with the hp advantage... Must have been the 6spd auto box in the volvo.

The Volvo's straight six sits perpendicular to the rest of the drivetrain.
Agreed - definitely harsher than we first realized which forced my hand with regard to the rear suspension swap after three months where I swapped out the stiffer R-Design rear springs and shocks for the "base" suspension items. We still have the quicker ratio RD steering and firmer front suspension...most of the rough ride was definitely in the rear (my wife got to listen to me micro analyzing the ride on every drive for those first three months). BMW just (run-flats not withstanding) does suspensions better than most...no doubt about it. Ideally, I would install the larger aftermarket sway bar from IPD in the Volvo now to make up for some lost roll control but (to be honest) as my wife's daily driver it just hasn't been a priority. As a side note, Volvo does offer an adjustable suspension (their 4C option), but - ridiculously - it is not available on the R-Design. It is uber rare even on the regular T6 though because I think dealers view it as a "high performance" option and if they order in a hi po car it is going to be an R-Design. Aggravating.

The perpendicular 6 of the Volvo brings up another point. The XC60 is biased to FRONT wheel drive as opposed to REAR wheel drive like the X3. Obviously, most here (including me) prefer the feel of RWD over FWD. 98% of the time, this is absolutely a non-issue in the Volvo. I don't feel a bunch of goofy torque steer or anything like that, BUT 2% of the time when you really leg it you get that "Oh, yeah this is FWD biased" reminder with torque steer and a pause before the torque transfers to the rear wheels. Generally a non-issue, but I won't pretend it doesn't happen.

Last edited by cblandin; 01-07-2013 at 12:59 PM..
Appreciate 0