Thread: Color Choices
View Single Post
      02-11-2013, 08:49 AM   #17
ErnestHouse
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 535i GT

Kudos to Mini, BMW and Audi. You don't see these conversations on many of the other cars because they don't let you choose. You get black or beige according to what they think goes with the exterior you choose.

Personally, I think it matters little (not completely, just a little) how well exterior and interior colors go with each other. There are few times when both colors are consumed together. What I think is more important is how the headlining, carpeting, seat covering and trim all go together. IMHO, you need not restrict yourself to only a few colors if you have a knack for putting things together visually. Personally, I currently don't like beige because I have had it on every car for the last 16 years. But I've noticed that with both beige and gray you end up with headline, carpets and seats all the same and so little else to work with.

IMHO, If you make the interior color coordinating with exterior a major factor, then you may miss the chance to make a snazzy interior combination. Black interior puts them all together which makes your trim and stitching (if there is contrasting one) stand out. But you may like the homogeneousness of beige and grey so go for it. But on the other hand, black and tan are the all too common colors you get on non-luxury cars.....

You are going to spend a lot of time on the inside seeing the interior so like your clothes and jewelry, my basic rule is similar to choosing clothing. Pick it because you like the way you look to yourself and it's how you want to be seen. The latter is where exterior colors (body color, moulding, lights, roof color, rails, exterior trim, pillars etc) come in.

But to your question, color-wise (I have a visual design background) a VR exterior and Mojave interior is fine in terms of those two colors not clashing. In fact, according to BMW, the only colors they don't recommend are VR and Chestnut but I have seen photos of them so you can order it if you want. One of the nice things is how Mojave matches the dark wood trims (I was in an X3 with that combination on Friday).

YMMV

Last edited by ErnestHouse; 02-11-2013 at 05:15 PM..
Appreciate 0