View Single Post
      07-13-2015, 02:46 PM   #6
exon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 35i Jet Black!

wow that's lots of detailed calculations... makes my eyes pop!

Btw, if you are really into the precision of your numbers ( i assume you are, as the numbers are in decimal places), there are couple additional things you need to consider:

1. The engine is rarely making its peak power, you would be flooring it all the time.

2. For merging situations, transmission downshift time ( you probably need 2-3 downshifts from cruising RPM to the RPM that gives you full 240HP on a N20). And it is not just the time of the physical shift itself, but also the time that the computer needs to determine that you need a shift (or two).

3. Turbo spool up time (turbo lag), it was around 1.5 to 2 second for the N54 engine at low RPM (from no throttle to full torque output). N55 should be a bit better, probably around 1 to 1.5 second. Downshift to higher RPM will shorten this lag. Higher altitude will lengthen this time.

4. Inertia of the drivetrain and wheels, the HP is not only used to make car go faster, but also the wheels spin faster. That's why small/light wheel/rim combination can sometimes provide better acceleration. The higher the speed, the larger the kinetic energy (square of speed). 70mph to 90 mph is not slow.
Appreciate 0