xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
You are not alone with this problem.

This is the third or forth mention of this error. Several of us mentioned it on the "Sudden stop issue" thread which quickly turned into a "electronics error" thread.

The error you described happened to me once and immediately disappeared after shutting the engine off and restarting. It has not happened again and, in my case, didn't seem to be related to rain. I've driven the X3 in a severe rain storm with no electronic problems. Interestingly, the one time I saw the scary brake malfunction error was at the exact instant I drove under cross-country high-voltage power transmission line out in the middle of nowhere. Just driving along - never touched the brakes and the warning popped up and all the lights came on. Carefully checked the brakes, and they were obviously working fine (although didn't try to get the ABS to trigger.

Was there any lightning activity during the rain when your error happened? Could be that it's an EMF (electro magnetic field) interference issue.

It's only been once for me so far but if it happens again it will be right back to the dealership.

With at least three examples on this forum alone, it's probably something that BMW is already aware of. Hope they have a service bulletin and a fix soon.

Please let us know what your dealer says.
It happened again while my friend was driving the car, but it was not raining. So I guess it isn't related to rain. In any case, I brought the car in this morning (they gave me a very nice, gently driven, 535i xDrive sedan as a loaner), and they said they'd call me later today with the diagnosis. I'll let you know what happens.
Appreciate 0