View Single Post
      01-17-2013, 12:01 PM   #7
Aaqui
Rep
Drives: X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistonbroke View Post
Took delivery of new X3 in December and within a few weeks noticed a knocking sound coming from the drivers side front end when driving on or off the drive.

I took it to the dealership where it was diagnosed has having a faulty steering rack. A new steering rack was fitted and everything was fine. A few weeks later the same knocking sound was back.

As before I took it to the dealership and the same problem was diagnosed. It needed a new steering rack. A new steering rack was fitted. Four days ago the knocking sound returned and after diagnosis it turns out to be a faulty steering rack.

This vehicle has less than 3700 miles on the clock.

When I first heard the knocking noise I was putting it down to the vehicle being new, creaky plastic or not enough water in the windscreen washer bottle.

The dealership has been great. The service I have received has been second to none. Customer Services at BMW UK do not want take responsibility and have got slopey shoulders.

I've had the same problem with the steering rack on my X3 since I took delivery of the car way back in May 2012. I noticed the knocking sound almost immediately but I had to visit the dealership several times until they brought over a technician from overseas (to Malta) who finally said it was from the steering rack. They ordered the parts and eventually replaced the steering rack. It was fine for a few weeks but the same knocking noise is back so I suspect that it is the steering rack again. I will be contacting the dealership in the coming days.

Besides the above, I had a problem with the driver's seat lumber support which they sorted out and on two occasions the car gave me a "Transmission Fault" error which they could not explain. When this fault happened, the car would barely move irrespective of how much the accelerator is pressed and would not even go into reverse gear. After shutting down the car completely and restarting the error cleared itself out, but obviously I am still concerned.

All these issues have really ruined my first experience with BMW and have dampened my enjoyment of the car which I was really looking forward too.
Appreciate 0