View Single Post
      07-28-2011, 03:12 PM   #1
andyoesq
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3

Tech / repair question

Hey all,
A quick question for all of you.
I just took delivery of my new x3 on Saturday. Sound was only coming out of the center console speaker. It was after the maintenance section was closed, so on Monday morning when they looked at it, they said that the amp was bad on the radio, and they needed to order a new one.
It took 4 days to get one, and they got it in today. They installed it, and they said when they were programing the computer to take the new amp, the car computer stopped communicating with the service computer, and it is basically frozen now. So they need to get a code from Germany to unlock the computer, and in essence re-install all of the software on the computer in the car.
So, here are my questions, for those of you more tech knowledgeable than me:
1) why would you have to update software for replacing an amp? Does that even sound right? If a tire was bad, you wouldn't have to program the computer. Why an amp?
2) anyone ever hear of the car stopping to communicate with the tech computer, requiring a code from Germany and a re-install of all the software?
3) they said it took 4 days to get the amp, because of a nationwide shortage of replacement amps. Anyone linked into the supply side of things, to see if that is even remotely true?
4) anyone see any of this as a cause for concern for the car? I am trying to remain calm, and not jump to conclusion / go overboard. I understand that some times new parts fail (I hate when it happens to me, but I understand it).
Thanks for any insight anyone can share on this
Appreciate 0