03-21-2011, 05:20 PM   #24
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by jijioben View Post
All I know is that if you go to settings->general you will find a Bluetooth option and if it is off, the phone will not even be recognized. You need to turn it on and stay on that screen while you go to the connection screen on iDrive. This is the only way to connect the iPhone because on that iPhone settings screen, the iPhone can be recognized by the car (it is "discoverable" in BT parlance).

You can set up a code to connect the iPhone to the X3 (pairing). I set it to 0000, the standard for just about everyone, since you still need to accept it anyway. The phone will ask for the code, and after you type it it will be accepted as a p[hone source. I actually had to repeat this process for the audio source part as well. After that you can stream from the phone by going to the multimedia section of the X3's iDrive and if necessary selecting Bluetooth in the output icon on the right side of the volume that only appears when you have a connected Bluetooth device or an Airplay device on your network (like an Apple TV or Airport).

I hope this helps, I can be more detailed if necessary.
Thanks for this. The part about needing to do this again for the bluetooth audio may be the root of the problem. I have already paired the iPhone to the X3 and it works for calls and contacts but I didn't think I would need to pair it again for bluetooth audio . I will try and keep the phone on the bluetooth settings screen and then switch to multimedia on the iDrive and see what happens but I'm surprised you need to pair it twice. Will try tomorrow. Thanks again

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0