View Single Post
      03-26-2024, 04:55 PM   #6
BMWbiker
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i xdrive wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
After confirming that all ordered content is present, my habit dating back to examining pre-production prototypes is called "shotgunning" the body. In the case of normal production, it helps confirm to some degree that nothing unfortunate occurred post-production, perhaps in shipping. Stand in front of a headlight, and look down the length of that side of the vehicle for any underflush/overflush condition of a door or fender. Observe moulding alignment. Stand at the taillight and do the same looking forward. Repeat for the other side of the car and a similar move across the rear for the liftgate. Open all doors, hood, and liftgate. Examine the hinge attachment points for any signs of rework or being treated differently for paint versus the others. Check for small scratch marks. Any repair should be disclosed. When I ordered this X3, the first one that arrived from the plant had a dented door due to a shipping issue. It was fixable with a door replacement (aluminum sheetmetal) and the dealer disclosed it. I declined the car, which they then re-ordered for a new build.
Do you use a magnet as well?