09-14-2015, 09:31 PM   #6
cadman50
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i, 2021 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_R View Post
OK....but, if I read your first post correctly, you have already said you have had an alignment carried to correct the wear on a set of the previous tyres, so you do not need yet another alignment carrying out unless you have hit a curb or pothole. See your first opening post I repeat below..........

Yes it seems this is a trait on some X3s. They appear to wear the outer shoulders on the front tyres. At least I have seen it on mine and two others in my local area. That is the reason I had an alignment check carried out. There was a slight error on mine, so the adjustment should mean the new tyres will wear evenly. I can only hope.

You have to realise that once the alignment has been checked and the error corrected out (if there was an error), the tyre(s) should then wear at an even rate across the complete tread. Naturally because the shoulder has already worn more than the rest of the tyre, this will show up later and there may be less tread left on the offending shoulder area, but the rest of the tyre might be fine.
The roads around here suck. There are so many deteriorated surfaces and sunken manhole covers that my tires and suspension have taken a beating since my last alignment. So I decided to go for it again and in fact the alignment was off and showing how it could be the outer side of the tires. So hopefully these new tires will wear better and the snow tires I'm going to put on in a few months too.
Appreciate 0