View Single Post
      01-25-2011, 10:48 PM   #1
jijioben
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 F25 X3 35i

Smile Quick impressions on X3 28i

After test driving the X3 35i, I was eager to try the naturally aspirated engine in the 28i. Last Saturday I was given that opportunity. As I wrote previously, the 35i was simply exhilarating. But in last year's models, the lower model did not deserve much consideration for me. Would the 28i succeed in providing a suitable option to the higher priced 35i?

In short, yes - at least to me. It was a very pleasant surprise and although I have ordered a 35i, I must say that I would have been pleased even if I had ordered a 28i.

I must apologize for the lack of pictures: the dealership was very busy on Saturday so I decided to devote the time I had to driving instead of taking pictures. I will make up for this though, as soon as my X3 arrives. Currently, it is in Toronto waiting for a rail car to Regina... I hope it comes soon and when it does I'll post a few more pictures, and the comparison with Performance Control and Dynamic Damper Control.

I drove a base 28i, black exterior with beige leatherette interior, equipped with the following: ZNF Premium Package (3XL X-Line Package, 402 Panorama Sunroof, 430 Auto Dimming Exterior Mirrors, 431 Auto Dimming Interior Mirror, 508 Park Distance Control and 522 Bi-Xenon Headlights); 3AH Rear View Camera With Top View; and 3AT Satin Aluminum Roof Rails.

I boarded the X3 with my wife and a friend. I expected a very different experience from my previous test drive.

i don't know what the BMW engineers did to this car, but I was very impressed! There is plenty of power for everyday driving, and this 28i was even quieter than the 35i. I could have a normal conversation with both passengers at highway speed (and maybe a bit more) at a normal volume. Yes, I missed the turbo noise; but the feeling I got from the 28i was one of centered calm and quiet power. Braking, cornering, and turning were almost identical. So were steering and suspensions. The engine was more sedate, maybe, but very lively still. With the gearshift in sport mode, the power was there, ready at my disposal. What I missed was the sudden push of a fully engaged turbo - but that is not the point of the 28i.

I came back from the test drive very pleased about the 28i. This is a car that inspires confidence, powerful enough to conquer snow and fun enough to give you a thrill, but well behaved and supremely controllable. I am still convinced that the 35i is the car for me. My friend, on the other hand, is ordering a 28i for himself. And if our cars match the test models, we'll both be very, very happy.
Appreciate 0