View Single Post
      08-06-2016, 03:50 PM   #15
gresh
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 2.8iXdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30ed View Post
That is strange. Sludge can build up on 2 reasons: 1) oil is not changed very long time 2) coolant leaks to oil. First is very unlikely. Second is way more common, but usually happens if filer housing is plastic and cracks internaly

Sounds like you had random "drivetrain malfunction" since 50K and did not check what it is was until at 80+K the engine completely failed? Hmmm
Yeah, the sludge can (and likely in this case, was) be caused by the turbo oil inlet pipe leaking oil. When this happens, oil is sucked into the intake. When I replaced the engine, I replace the turbo and the oil inlet pipe with the new one that BMW put out. This pipe was recalled on some countries, but not the U.S. The oil inlet pipe is also the cause of white smoke at startup, which this car had for about 6 months. I took it in twice for the smoke, but since it takes about 2 days for it to happen, the BMW dealer on both times said they couldnt reproduce the problem.

As far as the drivetrain malfunction, every time I took it in for oil change or service, I told them, but since it didnt throw any OBD errors and it only happened a few times, they couldnt reproduce that one either.
Appreciate 0