01-26-2012, 04:39 PM   #9
brissim
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 30d (2011 F25) - now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by KF View Post
Hi All

X3 is still on the water but also looking into fifth wheel. Dunlop / Goodyear have only the Dunlop MAXX RFT in stock in the 245/50R18 size. Bobjane can do Pirelli in both FFT and ordinary $100 difference in price!! and both Kuhmo and Yokohama in conventional. The Kuhmo look attractive.

At this stage we have decided to buy one BMW 308 wheel and two tyres so we have five identical wheels and a backup tyre so we dot have to wait somewhere for a week for a replacement tyre. But havn't decided on on RFT or ordinaries.

KF
KF - first of all - well done for doing some basic "due diligence" on the replacement tyre situation for the F25 here in Australia. Absolutely loving our X3 and for those who spend a far bit of their time outside a State capital, you really need to understand the situation regarding replacement tyres for the F25. It is good to see some suitable tyres beginning to be available in retail stores (as opposed to just BMW dealers) although it would be a little worrying to some that this only extends to a single tyre size.

Just put my 2cents worth in on the runflats vs conventional tyres. Besides the obvious pluses for conventional over runflats of greater availability and ride comfort, one other you may consider is the wear life. The OEM runflats on the F25 are - from what I've read in reviews - very good tyres. But they are road-orientated performance tyres. While that translates into phenominal road holding and traction, the downside is reduced mileage. One of the secondary reasons why I switched to conventional tyres was that I wanted more of a "cross-over" type tyre - not a full blown all terrain or off-road tyre, but just something more at home on gravel roads with increased mileage. As an indication, the OEM runflats I had taken off (Goodyear Excellance) only had a wear rating of 220 - ie fairly low. The conventional tyres I now have on (Pirelli Scorptions) have a 420 wear rating - ie much more "middle of the road".

So while there is only a $100 difference per tyre between the runflats and the conventional, you could end up replaceing the OEM runflats more often. Just a thought.

Hope you enjoy or X3 as much as we have.

Tony
Appreciate 0