10-24-2011, 06:56 AM   #21
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
I have raised the X3 using (2) jacks and (2) jack point tools on the same side. That works fine, but you do need two jacks.

I've used the inner lower suspension pivot ears for a front jack stand location, but still have not found a rear location that looks acceptable.
I'll be mounting the winter tires again around Dec. 1, unless it snows here before.

Don't forget to use a torque wrench to tighten those lug bolts (89 lbs/ft.)!

All my wheels are marked with the original installation location. When I change back to summer tires each spring, each rear tire goes to the front (always on the same side, always the same direction of rotation. The next season, I do the same with the winter tires. I paint the original location, .i.e. RF, RR, LF, LR on the inside of a spoke on each wheel using green touch-up paint. Front/rear rotation is done each spring and each fall regardless of mileage.
I used that same front location for the front jack stand - and I actually let the weight of the vehicle rest on them while I moved the jack to the rear. I do have access to two jacks, but really wanted to be able to do it with one. I did. I tested the load carefully first (as carefully as one can) before committing to letting the stand bear the weight. It seems to have done fine. But for the rear - I see nothing that would make me confident to bear the weight alone.

I hate to have to let my dealer rotate my wheels for me and prefer to do it myself. But the engineers seem to think we should let the dealers to it. I also track each wheel according to it's original location and follow a similar pattern. On the X5 where I swap summer/winter I do exactly the same thing you do for the winter, but the summer set is staggered - so they always go back where they were.

I torqued to 91 actually... figuring with the margin of error I'd rather be tight than loose for this first time. I plan to check them in a week and see that they are still at proper torque.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0