View Single Post
      06-13-2012, 06:23 PM   #13
snowboardjoe
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 28i

Be aware the dimming function only happens when it's dark at night (front sensors detect that) and there are bright lights close behind you (rear view mirror picks that up as I recall, but I suppose there are individual sensors in each mirror as well?). Just the presence of headlights on low beam behind you is not necessarily enough to trigger the dimming feature. They need to be close behind you or using their high beams to trigger dimming. Otherwise, they stay clear to make it easy to see everything behind you that is dimly lit.

If this is your first time using this feature, give yourself some time to get used to them. I was new to this in 2003 when I got my 325xi and it seemed odd to have the mirror so clear at night, but I quickly got used to it and I liked how they stayed clear when there were no annoying headlights behind me. The transition from clear to dim and back again is very subtle.

I'll take a look at my own this week to see how that goes, but with over 17 hours of daylight right now, it's hard to test this out.