View Single Post
      05-09-2016, 02:12 PM   #3
Max Well
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 BG X3MC, '20 BSM X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKloud View Post
I'm looking to get an X3 to replace my wife's MDX, and wanted to know about real world experiences with the cargo space in the X3.
Thanks.
I owned a(n) MDX about 7 years ago, switched to MB M-Class for a few years, but came back to BMW with the introduction of the 2nd Gen X3 in 2011 which my wife got. She gets the new X3 when time for a new one, and I get her used one, so we are an X3-only family and suspect it will remain that way for some years to come.

I refer to mine (the 2012) as my 'pickup', as I literally throw anything and everything in there. From boulders to fertilizer to 8' long 2x4s to wide landscape rakes and shovels, my saws and extension cords, and ... So I honestly haven't come across a time I needed more space (within reason and being cognizant of what I should or should not be able to transport).

The only issue in my mind, which will persist until the G01 release, is that the backseats don't lay flat when folded so because of that up angle if you have a tall and lengthy item which fits into the cargo area but then needs to be pushed forward because of the length, the height then becomes an issue. This happened recently with the purchase of a large mirror when there were three of us travelling (so I couldn't fold both rear seats forward). It was a very tight fit because of the up-angle of the back seat when folded.

My understanding of the G01 is that the rear seats will now be flat when folded, a significant advance if that holds true.
Appreciate 1