pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo08816 View Post
So I made the mistake of replacing the factory non-sport struts with the Bilstein B6 struts after 100,000 miles. It doesn't ride as well now - I suspect the struts are overpowering the factory non sport springs.

I'm curious what the spring rates are for the non sport and sport springs:

https://www.getbmwparts.com/v-2016-b...ion-components

I believe, physically, the springs are interchangeable as they share the same lower and upper spring pad. However, I don't recall the springs resulting in different ride heights. Am I incorrect?
When the dampers don't match the spring rate, handling can suffer, i.e. using sport dampers with a standard spring where the rebound dampening is too slow for the soft standard spring rate. This configuration can be dangerous since the tires have less contact with the road during road irregularities since the spring doesn't return fast enough after a lump in the road. The damper and spring selection is engineered to work as a system, when parts don't match results will suffer

I've never seen any specs on the spring rates for standard vs sport vs DHP.

AFAIK, all F25 suspensions options use the same spring height so none are lowered as like some of the other model BMWs with sport suspension.

The strut bearing and bump stops are not the same across all suspension options.
Appreciate 1
Polo088161614.50