View Single Post
      07-19-2012, 10:24 AM   #29
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
We cross-shopped the X3 and Q5 late last year, then recently over the last month. We didn't look at a Tiguan because it's so much larger. The Q5 is a great looking automobile. It's hard to compare the two, because their styling is so different, but I think Audi makes some of the best looking cars on the road today. The thing is, I have to drive/use the car, not just look at it, so that's only one factor.

When we test drove the two last year, the X3 28i still had the inline-6, while the Q5 had the turbocharged inline-4. The Q5 felt more responsive. Even my wife felt the difference. Turbocharged engines are hard to beet for that responsive feel. Now that the X3 has the new N20 turbocharged engine, the Q5's turbo advantage disappeared. That's where all the other BMW elements stepped up and pushed the X3 over the top.

I found Audi's MMI controls horrific. It looks like button central on the center console. I'm a total geek, but I was put off by it. I also found the design elements of the MMI display and entertainment system lacking refinement. The updated iDrive looks like a more polished product, and I didn't have any problem getting around the system. It may simply be a matter of preference, but the Audi system was so ugly that I would actually avoid it if possible (it's not).

The final aspect was the way they drove. Like most BMWs, the ride and handling characteristics of the X3 were better suited to my preferences. The Audi had a lot more bob and roll to it. Under braking, I could really feel the Audi leaning forward. I dislike SUVs in general, because I like to feel firmly planted (135i is my daily drive). The X3 feels very well planted for an SUV.

We just placed an order for an X3 xDrive28i with the premium, convenience, and technology packages two days ago and can't wait for it to get here.
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
Appreciate 0