02-01-2011, 09:48 AM   #10
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrikinCurt View Post
I am just nervous without it being specifically said. If it wasn't that my best build date is March 15th, and this update is April, I would probably just let it go.

So we do know the main thing about 6NR is to support the "ipod out" function of iOS 4.0. So, the question is simply if BMW has the hardware in place to support this on all cars and if it is just a software issue.

iPod out means that the rendering of the UI is done on the iPhone, hence the cradle needed, part of the apple connector sends video, so first step is that the car needs to have physical wiring from the cradle to the nav display. Anyone know if that exists?

Second part is having commands from the car sent back to the iphone. I doubt that part has been done before? Again, the commands would go back to the same dock connector on the iPad, but it is just a question if those wires have ever been physically connected.

So that is my concern about it being just software... It is true that it all goes to the same apple connector on that end, I just wonder if all those connections have been made in past cars.
The wiring end points are covered by the prereqs. If it did need extra wiring or connections then BMW are incorrectly advising people. And if that is the case, they wouldn't say it will be available as an accessory. There is a chance they are wrong of course but I doubt it. You just need a phono and a USB connection to the cradle which is covered by the bluetooth phone prep prereq.

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0