View Single Post
      01-12-2016, 06:33 AM   #17
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by cSurf View Post
Enough with the references to F30 M Performance suspension. It's not a factory option on the F30 and not available or relevant for the X3. We're comparing (what I view as the volume/lease-special) shock/strut combo to DHP.

Even if an M-Performance Suspension were available for the X3, the cost of adding post-sale (based on the F30 comp) would far exceed the cost of optioning DHP (with its many benefits) plus a rainy day fund for the (highly unlikely) dampener failures you fear!i

Also- probably not an accident that DDC is standard on the X4 M40i.
It's technically a port-install option for the F30, but yes, not by itself relevant to the X3.

The DHP is great. However, it's only great until you have to replace one of them. The part cost alone on the F30 was >$600 per damper, just FYI.

Put it this way:
- If you feel the base suspension is too bumpy/crashy on poor roads, your problem isn't the base suspension because it's very soft. The issue is you probably have 19" or 20" wheels and tires that don't have enough sidewall height + RFT.
- If you feel the base suspension is not dampening enough, that's a valid complaint. Again, it IS too soft. For those who don't want to work on their car, the DHP is pretty much your only option from the factory.

I'm coming at this from the perspective of already owning a F30 335i and having access to lifts, wheel balancers/mounters, Hunter alignment racks, air tools, etc.

My GF and I discussed this option and since we both drive > 25,000 miles on each of our cars, we didn't feel the cost of (replacement) DHP would be worth it. When we replace our shocks, we will probably go with Bilstein HDs.
Appreciate 0