View Single Post
      01-31-2012, 08:34 AM   #38
epiphone3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
Your 2006 E90 does not have the BMW "Efficient Dynamics" feature that can allow the battery to sit in a partially charged state as a normal condition. Your E90 probably has a lower "standby" current draw than a new F25. With a fully charged battery, a F25 can probably remain parked and locked for 4 to 5 weeks maximum (about the same as your E90 with a new battery), but, depending on the driving pattern a F25 may be parked with a battery that is only half charged.

Under those conditions (see MANY previous posts that detail the situation), the F25 may have trouble starting at something like 21 days of being parked.

As government mandated fuel efficiency requirements become more stringent, you can expect to see more vehicles using a BMW "ED" type system for energy efficiency as well as smaller, lighter batteries. Both of which will contribute to reduced "standby" time periods. Better get used to it.

And I take your point: the problem could be the government. God knows that haven't got anything right for a long time.

My sister's new Jaguar requires an external battery charger when ever it's parked for more than (3) weeks and it's perfectly normal for that car and it doesn't even have "ED".

It's just a sign of the times which are a'changin. What worked in 2006 doesn't work in 2012. There is nothing "wrong" and there will be no TSBs. It's just the way things are designed in the F25, and will be incorporated in most other brands soon. BMW has been the undisputed leader in implementing new energy saving technology, so you see it here first. It's the price you pay for "progress", and not everyone likes change.

Just like the Stop/Start technology in many new BMW models or the rumored electric supercharger in the next generation M3 models, not everyone is happy with the changes initially, but somehow we get used to it and soon it's the "norm".

Just wait until the (US) corporate 35.5 mpg regulations go into effect in 2016. Then the changes and compromises we have today will seem trivial.

Addendum: I re-read this post and feel it reads as "a little preachy". I don't want to sound that way and am not supporting any philosophical point of view. One of my other vehicles, and possible my favorite is based on 1960's engineering (or even earlier) and has no power steering, no power brakes, no radio, no roll-up windows and no door locks. However it was designed when 95 octane gasoline (in the U.S.) cost exactly 31 cents per gallon.

Those days are gone forever (RIP) and we better get used to it.
Lotus, I am a mechanical engineer and have been a die-hard BMW guy since I was 4 years old, so I definatey understand the mechancial and electrical systems at play here.

My point is that whatever is going on here, it ain't right. One gentleman here was saying that there was 7 X3's at the Edmonton BMW dealership (not a crazy volume dealer) just north of us after a cold snap. That is totally ridiculous and makes it clear to me that something is amiss with this model, at minimum, and possibly with our beloved BMW.

The point of "The Ultimate Driving Machine" is to be able to drive it. Looking at that many X3's parked tells me there must be some sort of issue here that we aren't seeing... a bad relay design or something that is causing this that isn't normal. This may just be me hoping that it is a problem that can be fixed rather than shoddy design by the company I love.

My E90 with a 6+ year old battery has more reliable start performance than these brand new vehicles. That is incomprehensible.

Maybe Mercedes-Benz is still paying attention to the basics before getting too cute with these electrical systems?

I am concerned because I have been seriously looking at the new F25 and the new F30 but if I can't be confident that they will be reliable, I will have to turn to something else and that will hurt me.

And I take your point: The problem could well be the rules imposed by the government coming too fast. God knows they haven't got anything right in a long time.
Appreciate 0